Sunday, January 25, 2015

What should school LOOK like? Let me show you...

It's finished...well, almost! Our last building on our beautiful campus is almost finished. To say that it is amazing is the understatement of the century. I remember watching the McCoy Center being built dreaming of the opportunities that would exist for our students. This project was much more real to me because I toured it throughout the building process. It's been so exciting watching it come together. If I think back to all I've been studying on flexible learning spaces I can't get one quote out of my head. I've used it a lot. "Space is the body language of an organization". It is from the book Make Space. If you haven't read that book, you need to check it out. It has me wondering what does our space say about what we believe learning looks like? Take a look at the pictures below, they are from all over our campus. On the outside our school district is beautiful, but it's what's on the inside that will shape and define us. What do you see? I see never ending potential...everywhere.

I read this statement often:

Our Vision: To become the leader in reinventing education.

Our Mission: To ensure the development of high-achieving, ethical, self-directed, and intellectually curious citizens of the world.

Our Promise: To provide a culture that encourages students to pursue and realize their dreams and aspirations through passionate, inspired teaching and learning and personalized programs and services accomplished in collaboration with our entire community.


I keep these words in everything I do because it's what I want for all children. I want them to walk on our campus and instantly be invigorated, curious, excited, and happy to be there. I am...everyday! Let our space tell the story of what we believe.



I challenge all educators to look at your space through a new lens. What does it say about you? Is your learning environment for you...or your students?




No comments:

Post a Comment