Sunday, October 25, 2015

Reflections on "What Great Educators Do Differently"

Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend a conference in Deerfield, IL titled, "What Great Educators Do Differently". As with most conferences, my head was filled with new ideas, thought provoking insights and many calls to action. I was able hear from some of my favorite authors and educators like Paul Solarz (@PaulSolarz ) and Angela Maiers (@AngelaMaiers). My first action step is to share knowledge with other great educators..which led to today's blog entry. I will attempt to share my major take aways and hope that they inspire other great educators...

Great Educators...
-Build culture first in their schools, this can be done in 30 secs.
-Do what they're comfortable with, and make it a new normal.
-Recognize that today's youth is not anti-social...they are "different social" than us.

-Know that pictures help tell the story, always try to include a picture to assist in telling your story.
-Know that these pictures give parents a connection to what their kids are doing (instead of what did you do today, it’s could be "tell me about the picture I saw of you building a ________")
-Never give up an opportunity to say something great about their school...CELEBRATE KIDS EVERYDAY!

*Thanks to @Joesanfelippofc for sharing your knowledge, ideas and passion for storytelling, branding and social media!

Great Educators...
-"Keep reacting to things or make them better. You have a choice.”
-"Praise, praise, praise somebody, it starts there. Both people benefit." 
-"Don’t play defense...play offense...support, support, support."
-"Care and try every day!"

*Thank you @ToddWhitaker for reminding me that the life of a great educator is not always paved in gold, it takes a lot of hard work to be great...you can be good, anyone can be good...being GREAT is something to aspire to!

Great Educators...

-Have an Innovator's Mindset: the Belief that abilities, intelligence and talents are developed leading to the creation of new and better ideas.
-Know that "isolation is now a choice educators make"
-Know that "Innovation often begins and ends with empathy"
-Recognize and model that "things change over time, but the ability to learn is forever"

@gcouros gave one of the best presentations I've ever seen. Laughing one minute, crying the next, it was remarkable the way he moved through his presentation. One major takeaway from this presentation is to always remember to make your presentations personal...it matters! 

Great Educators...
-Network to meet like minded individual who will help them become better educators.

It is not surprising that at the top of @casas_jimmy's blog is the quote that we teach our students every day in the Light Bulb Labs. It was a pleasure meeting and learning from Jimmy. I look forward to following his blog a little closer and continuing to learn from him through my PLN.

A huge thank you to @Dwight_Carter for helping me get to this conference and for giving me the "push" I needed to get outside of my comfort zone during the un-conference. 



No comments:

Post a Comment